"to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faithin me." Acts 26:18

Friday, April 5, 2013

A Cultural Love Language

Today in our ladies Bible study, we read from our book the following definition of a true friend:

"Such a friend is someone who keeps your deepest secrets, always rejoices when good things come your way, and shows compassion when you are grieved.  An ideal friend never berates you when you make a mess of things or says, "I told you so."  Such a friend is available anytime of the day or night to listen to you when you have an urgent need to talk and never grows tired of hearing about the same old things over and over again." (pg. 115, Women of Faith by Lydia Brownback)

Notice that this definition is very time centered.  America values time, and I think that most people would agree, that in a broad general sense, our cultural love language is time.  Friendships are made and lost through how much time we invest in each other.

I asked my Ugandan sisters for their definition of a true friend.  Here is what they said:

"My best friend helps me when I am in trouble."
"My best friend brings me gifts."
"My best friend gives me money."

During one of our church visits to the local hospital, one Ugandan brother suddenly recognized someone and told us, "This man is my very best friend from the village!  He would always bring me posho, maize and other gifts!"

Their definition of friendship is based on giving.  I think one could safely say that in a broad general sense, the Ugandan cultural love language is gift giving.  Friendships are made and lost through how much they give to each other.

The question then becomes...

whose love language do we use to minister in the Ugandan culture?

Ours?

or

Theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment