"to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faithin me." Acts 26:18

Friday, November 2, 2012

B.B. Warfield on giving...


"Now dear Christians, some of you pray night and day to be branches of the true Vine; you pray to be made all over in the image of Christ.  If so, you must be like him in giving..."though he was rich, yet for our sakes he became poor"...

Objection one.  "My money is my own."
Answer: Christ might have said, "my blood is my own, my life is my own"...then where would we have been?

Objection two.  "The poor are undeserving."
Answer: Christ might have said, "They are wicked rebels...shall I lay down my life for these?  I will give to the good angels."  But no, he left the ninety-nine, and came after the lost.  He gave his blood for the undeserving.

Objection three.  "The poor may abuse it."
Answer: Christ might have said, the same ; yea with far greater truth.  Christ knew that thousands would trample his blood under their feet; that most would despise it;  that many would make it an excuse for sinning more; yet he gave his own blood.  Oh, my dear Christians!  If you would be like Christ,

give much

give often

give freely

to the vile and poor, the thankless and the undeserving.  Christ is glorious and happy and so will you be.  It is not your money I want, but your happiness.  Remember his own word,

"It is more blessed to give than to receive."

--BB Warfield

Oh that we would stop making excuses and give much, often, and freely, just as we have received much, often and freely!  God help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment